Yesterday I didn’t have time to post because I was busy making…. Soup!
Continuing on the theme from last week that was “I have too many odds and ends foods” in my fridge and pantry. It’s probably good to clear some of it out before my mom loses it.
I decided to make a soup. Soups are great for this kind of thing because there is no real strict guidelines on what and how much to put in it.
Here is a Spicy Black Bean soup. The only thing I needed to get from the store was some of the perishable veggies. Everything else I already have. I made this in a smaller size than most people would make soups as well. This is a good recipe if you are cooking for 1 or 2 people. If you are cooking for more than you can just increase the quantities.
Maintaining the theme of “I need to use what’s in my fridge”, I made a Bees Knees to go with it since I still have some honey syrup kicking around.
- 7 oz can of black beans.
- 7 oz fire roasted tomatoes.
- 1/2 yellow onion.
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 1 bunch scallions (Some set aside for garnish).
- 1 jalapeño (Some set aside for garnish).
- 2 cups of chicken stock (Vegetable stock will make this vegan)
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin.
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne (more or less to taste).
- 1/2 tbsp smoked chipotle powder.
- 1/2 tbsp paprika.
How to Make it:
- Dice onion and add to pot with a little olive oil and cook until soft. (about 2 or 3 minutes)
- Add jalapeño’s, scallions and garlic to pot and continue cooking for another minute or so.
- Add black beans, tomatoes, chicken stock, and spices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for another 20-30 minutes or until the soup has thickened.
- Blend the soup in a blender until you have reached your desired consistency. (**Make sure to hold the lid while blending hot ingredients, otherwise you’ll have a mess to clean up**)
And voila! You have a spicy black bean soup.
Non Zero Day #11
Study 2 hours. Clean Headlights and get the oxidization off them. Run 8 km.<- crushed it again. 10 km. Leg Day. Make Friday Recipe.
- 300 word blog post.
- Upper body and Abs work out.
- Run 8 km.
- Study 2 hours.