“I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?”― Ernest Hemingway
Lasagna and Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
Mandarin Whisky Sour
– 1lb Lean, ground beef
– 2 Shallots
– 1 Jalapeño – chopped
– 3 Cloves of garlic – minced
– 2 Cups crushed tomatoes
– 1 Cup tomato paste
– 1 Cup garlic and onion tomato sauce
– 1 Cup cottage cheese
– 1 Cup room temperature goat cheese
– 2 cups of Cheddar/Mozzarella/Parmesan shredded cheese
– 1 Cup chopped spinach
1. Mix cottage cheese, goat cheese, and spinach together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Pre-heat oven to 375F
3. Cook ground beef in skillet and drain, add shallots, garlic, and Jalapeño to pan and cook until shallots start to brown. Add beef back to skillet and cook for another minute or two.
4. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce to large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
5. Add beef mixture to tomato sauce and stir. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
6. Layer the sauce and cheese mixtures between cooked lasagna noodles in a 9×13″ pan.
7. Top with chives and Cheddar/Mozzarella/Parmesan cheese.
8. Place in oven and cook for 30-35 min.
9. Let cool for 10-15 min.
– 2 oz. Bourbon (I used Makers Mark)
– 3/4 oz Lemon juice
– 3/4 oz Simple syrup (You can make your own boiling 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water until the sugar is dissolved)
– Mandarin orange juice
– 1 egg white (Optional to create foam)
– LOTS of ice because you’ll probably have to have a few.
Add all ingredients together in shaker filled with ice.
Shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds.
Strain into martini glass (If using egg white) or highball glass filled with ice.
– It’s a secret
It’s been a few weeks since I last did one of these, but life has been a little crazy. To make up for it, I did a double feature! A full meal! Un dîner entier!
I have also decided to go with a bit of a different format for this one. Through the last two dishes there are two things that have become pretty apparent…..
- I like my cheat meals to be VERY carb heavy (but hey, who doesn’t?!)
- Unless it’s a TOOL album, it’s probably not long enough to cook a meal
For these two reasons I am deciding to go with some changes. I will be making a cocktail because it is hard to finish a beer after a carb heavy meal; and listening to an Artist as a whole, not necessarily just one album. So let’s review this weeks choices!
For real though, who doesn’t love a good Lasagna? Lasagna in itself is pretty straightforward to make, however I did have some reservations regarding using goat and cottage cheese in place of ricotta since goat cheese tends to be stronger tasting, however it worked out really well, adding a bit of depth to the cheese layer. Adding the Jalapeño added a little bit of kick to the dish without making it overly spicy, for those of you that are not into a lot of spice.
Full disclosure, the drink was chosen because I had all of the ingredients available. The tartness and sourness of the drink however, cut through the rich, heavy flavours of the lasagna. Adding the bit of juice from the mandarin orange helped add a bit of sweetness to the drink without being too overpowering.
The cake was chosen because I had some bananas that were very, very ripe, and like any other millennial, I don’t like to waste if it can be avoided. I needed to do some baking! This is an old recipe that my mom has been making for years, and I would be lying if i said it wasn’t a total comfort food for me. And after the last few weeks, a good comfort food was definitely on the menu. I added a cup of Kashmiri Chai tea from the Naked Leaf to help in achieving full on comfort mode.
The Killers are a band that keep cycling in and out of my radar but they tend to turn out some pretty consistently good tunes. They are also one of those bands that when I hear certain songs, all kinds of odd ball memories come flooding in. I can remember the spot where I first bought their album Hot Fuss. It was a little hole in the wall, second hand record store in Nanaimo BC while passing through on yet another back woods road trip with my family. The CD itself was second hand and scratched, so there was one song that would skip horribly. There wasn’t anything particularly special or significant about that moment, but for some reason, it stays floating around my brain. So, I figured, if I was getting all comfy and nostalgic with the lasagna and cake, I may as well do it with the band too. My top songs for this venture were Human, When You Were Young, Spaceman, and Mr. Brightside.
9/10 – Probably would add some Cayenne or crushed red peppers next time.
8/10 – Using a top shelf bourbon probably saved me but overall not bad for the first time.
9/10 – Easy to listen and dance around to while making everything.
It was really fun to dive into the world of mixed drinks. This is something that I will be persuing pretty aggressively over the next little while. Making the food was equally as fun. it was nice to go all out for a night with some great music that took me on a trip down memory lane.